Yes again regarding discipline :o) I just finished watching Supernanny, the episode before the last one... http://abc.go.com/watch/supernanny/153459/240535/phelps-family#sl-0 (if you are not residing in the U.S. you will not be able to watch it...sorry not my rules)
I think it was a great episode that touched on some very important issues in the family unit. In fact I had never spent too much time on watching the show before, but my mom suggested that I watch it, and it has given me some great ideas on parenting.
Understanding the premise of the show I know they go to families that are facing some problems, I also understand that the show does not condone 'spanking' as a valid form of discipline. However, it is unfortunate that what parents saw nationwide...and probably will see eventually internationally was a bad model on spanking.
If you watch the show the testimonial of the mother (who was the most avid advocate in the family for spanking) at the end said "I learned that I can discipline without losing my temper and getting angry" (a loose quote) Well then that means that she was not using spanking properly as a discipline tool.
One of our pastors in his teaching on discipline cautions the parents "Do Not spank when you are angry" Spanking is not a way to vent your anger...what is unfortunate that what people see most often is parents acting out of anger and spanking gets a bad rep.
I cannot tell you exactly in what circumstances I will spank my child, and that's because it is not set on stone, however, as her understanding grows I use time-out more often and spanking less. Really that is the goal...after a certain time the child should not need to be spanked any more.
Another statement in the show that made my head turn a little sideways :o) The dad said "if there is a way to teach my children without causing them pain I want that way. Any loving parent would prefer it that way" Can I just say that when I spank my daughter my hand feels it too and what feels it even more is my heart. I do not get any satisfaction out of spanking my daughter, in fact my heart hurts that it had to come down to that. When I am finished spanking I just hold her and let her cry and when she is done crying I kiss her and she gives me a hug because she knows how much I love her. May I add to that also that in life the wrong choices we make hurt...they hurt us and they hurt others too. I just hope in the quest of teaching my child right from wrong, cause and effect, that somehow she will learn, that she will gain wisdom and lose foolishness and just maybe she, like me, one day will be grateful for her parent's steadfastness in teaching her those things. God bless you and goodnight :o)
Saturday, November 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment